When Temperature Becomes Something Else (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla, PhD.)
The most common parameter applied to talk about climate is Temperature, and yet, that is not the same when we talk about weather. But, are both so distant one from each other that it can make any sense adopting such discrepancies?
Such assessment might sound too extreme among many however, it seems to be the case of that Temperature is assumed to be the responsible driver behind of all events concerning our atmosphere but, what would happens when temperature becomes something else and something else becomes temperature? Where should we focus our attention?
Through my research I have tried to point out the relevance of adopting a different approach towards understanding atmospheric developments from focusing our attention over temperature as a parameter on its own. Even though variations in temperature are the easiest to determine in the first instance, those also deviate our attention from addressing what temperature really means: where does it comes from and where does it go when we can not longer measure it?
One example, we can look at ENSO as half empty/half full scenario. Either we can look at how powerful are El Niño / la Niña or, how much power it is required to generate those conditions. The implications and interpretations derived are quite different.
What does it mean that temperature drops? If we know that temperature is just an expression of energy, and that energy does not disappear, where is that energy going? Out space?And then, when temperature raises, where is that energy coming from? Is it getting colder some other place in order to generate such increase in a different location?
But again, why temperature has to be the answer? What would happens when temperature becomes something else and something else becomes temperature?
I have tried to avoid this weakness in the approach that I apply to study climatic developments through my research since 2014. In my last publication Atmospheric Circulation and the Mixing Zone. (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla) May 26, 2016, I have specifically pointed out the relevance of considering the implications from seeing an increase in the area occupying the mixing zone of the atmosphere between Mid-Latitudes and Polar circulation triggered by a wobbly Polar Jet Stream.
It will take that some relevant names get to publish in relevant journals something really relevant in order to find a common ground between disciplines and scientists, but at the moment, using temperature as the focus point, it feels like we are chasing a tail. Because if studying temperature requires for some people to wait 30 years “under the weather”, maybe, we should change the approach and take a closer look at what is that it makes the weather. Because Temperature is just one expression of the energy being carried within the atmosphere, altogether with, wind, electricity and gravimetric volumes of water delivering precipitation.
In the next video are shown the lightnings occurring over Europe on May 28, 2016.
Lightning Injures Over 40 People in Europe.
weather.com. Posted: May 28 2016 05:30 PM EDT. Updated: May 29 2016 06:28 AM EDT.
Meteorologist Danielle Banks talks about two lightning incidents in Europe. In Paris, 11 people were injured, 8 of them children. And in Germany 35 people were injured, 3 were seriously injured by the lightning. See video in the following link:
The following are the lightnings recorded in real time for today 30 May 2016
More info in real time at: blitzortung.org.
Germany – Floods in South Leave 3 Dead. http://floodlist.com
30 May, 2016 in Europe
A storm and heavy rain from late 29 May 2016 caused flooding in parts of southern Germany which has left at least 3 people dead.
The worst hit area is the east of the German state of Baden-Württemberg, in particular in Ostalbkreis (Ostalb district). Braunsbach, in the neighbouring district of Schwäbisch Hall, has also suffered major damage after the Kocher River overflowed. Parts of the neighbouring state of Bavaria also saw heavy rain.
The flood waters caused severe damage as cars were swept along streets that had been turned to rivers. German media say that around 7,000 emergency personnel from fire, police, medical and disaster management authorities, were working across the affected areas. Full damage assessments in affected areas are yet to be carried out.
All warnings for Europe
The general map contains a summary of all the severe weather hazards respectively severe weather warnings as well as useful weather advices for Europe. On the map you can see at which locations respectively in which areas of Europe severe weather events as gale/storm, heavy rain, heavy snow, thunderstorm or freezing rain are imminent. Furthermore, the overview indicates where in Europe extreme temperatures or icy roads / glazed frost have to be reckoned with. Source
Continuity on my research from previous publications
- A Climate “Between Waters” (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla).
Posted on September 8, 2015
I believe that the present weather events, altogether with the tornado seen in Venice on July, represent some of the new “Drops of Weather” coming over to say that the Summer, as we know it, is coming to an end.
The reason behind it seems to be the sporadic and unpredictable behaviour of the Jet stream, which not only is wobbly in latitude, but also in the vertical profile of the atmosphere. Accordingly, we can see that when it comes to lower levels from 300hPa induces alterations in the thermodynamical behaviour of the tropospheric circulation. In turn, when this cold air touches the lower level of our atmosphere, activates the energy accumulated in the Water vapour contained in it as latent heat, delivering new forms of energy; kinetic provoking strong winds, electrostatic generating lightnings and potential carried in the mass of all the water coming from its gaseous state into liquid or solid precipitation.
I have already discussed what is my theory about what it is happening that it is generating such a wobbly jet stream in latitude and altitude. This theory was published in a previous post and it points out the incorporation of masses of water vapour into polar latitudes as consequence of CO2 forcing as the cause wearing out the strength of the Polar Jet Stream.
I also have suggested that such incorporation of masses of water vapour into Polar Latitudes follow channels which are linked with persistent cyclonic events in the Atlantic and the Pacific. The present patterns seen in the circulation over the Pacific and the Atlantic are consistent with those proposed in this theory.
- Observed Atmospheric Dynamics. A follow-up assessment over the theory proposed on Energetic gradients by Diego Fdez-Sevilla.
Posted on January 29, 2016
The presence of the storm Alex hovering over the Atlantic for over a week in the middle of January, the tropical storm Pali reaching the equator, rain reaching Arctic latitudes and floods instead of snow in UK and Sweden in December, suggest that the approach followed in this theory is able to unify all events in a single principle:
The atmosphere has reached a tipping point in absorbing energy at mid latitudes and the constant contact of warm masses of air with those from polar latitudes has weared off the strength of the Polar Jet Stream.
Such circumstance has allowed the atmosphere to spread the energy carried by water vapour from mid latitudes into northern latitudes, being able of holding more energy than before since it is not dissipated into their surroundings when moving across latitudes.
- Atmospheric Circulation and the Mixing Zone. (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla)
Posted on May 26, 2016
An increase in the amount of energy being captured by GHGs would induce different types of developments. I have discussed most of them in previous publications, but some of those implicated in recent events could be the following:
- An increase in temperature would allow an expansion of the volume occupied by masses of air between polar Jet Streams extending the influence of Hadley circulation and weathering off the thermal contrast between Polar and Mid latitudinal circulation.
- Also an increase of temperature due to GHGs would allow the atmosphere to carry more water vapour. Water can absorb more amounts of energy than other greenhouse gases with the particularity of having a minor time of permanency in the atmosphere. Such particularity implies that water has the property of absorbing, carrying and releasing energy between locations, and therefore, it becomes part of a mechanism transferring energy through the whole globe.
- Having an increase in the energy pool available in the atmosphere will induce changes in the interaction between phenomena for which their origin, time permanency and stability lies on contrast with its surrounding. Thus, persistent features will become more frequent since in order to release their energy into the surroundings and disappear will become more difficult. But also, the moment in which the conditions allow for the atmosphere to discharge its cargo, the amount of energy ready to be liberated could easily overcome any expectations.
If you want to know more over my assessments over those interactions you should follow the links through the present text and explore the other publications and categories described in the top menu of in this blog.
The aim of publishing my work openly is to allow for it to be exposed for an open review. So any constructive feedback is welcome. After a period of time of at least a month from the publishing date on this blog and at LinkedIn, if no comments are found discussing the value of the piece published I then publish it at ResearchGate generating a DOI for posterior references.
In order to protect my intellectual rights, more assessment in depth and the statistical and numerical analyses that I have performed to support my arguments can be discussed at my email: d.fdezsevilla(at)gmail.com
The performance of my work as independent researcher, with no institutional and economic supprot is limited by my lack of access to resources and economic stability. So far what I have published in this blog is what I have been able to offer with those limitations.
If you find that my work is worthy to be acknowledged, share your thoughts openly and publicly because by sharing public acknowledging over the value of my work is what will overcome the limitations of my cv in order to find the attention from those able to allow me access to a job position or resources to increase the functionality of my research.
Since October 2013 I have been studying the behaviour of the Polar Jet Stream and the weather events associated as well as the implications derived into atmospheric dynamics and environmental synergies.
Many of the atmospheric configurations and weather and climate events we see these days are very similar with the progression followed since 2013. Please take a look at posts addressing those events from previous publications in this blog or look at the categories in the top menu. Also at research-gate. Feedback is always welcomed either in this blog or at my email (d.fdezsevilla(at)gmail.com). All my work is part of my Intellectual Portfolio, registered under Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License, WordPress.com license and it is being implemented at my profile in researchgate. I will fight for its recognition in case of misuse.
- New theory proposal to assess possible changes in Atmospheric Circulation (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla) Posted on October 21, 2014. http://wp.me/p403AM-k3
- Why there is no need for the Polar Vortex to break in order to have a wobbling Jet Stream and polar weather? (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla) Posted on November 14, 2014. http://wp.me/p403AM-mt
- State of the Polar Vortex. Broken? From 29 Nov 2014 to 5th Jan 2015 (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla). Posted on November 29, 2014. http://wp.me/p403AM-o7
- Gathering data to make visible the invisible (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla) Posted on December 22, 2014. http://wp.me/p403AM-pN
- Probability in the atmospheric circulation dictating the Weather (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla) Posted on January 15, 2015. http://wp.me/p403AM-rm
- Meteorological Outlook Feb 2015 (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla) Posted on February 7, 2015. http://wp.me/p403AM-sU
- Revisiting the theory of “Facing a decrease in the differential gradients of energy in atmospheric circulation” by Diego Fdez-Sevilla. Posted on February 10, 2015. http://wp.me/p403AM-to
- Drops of Weather. (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla)March 7, 2015
- Steering climate´s course (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla)March 27, 2015
- Climate. Looking at the forest for the trees (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla)April 9, 2015
- Matching Features Between Land Surface and Atmospheric Circulation (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla)April 23, 2015
- Domesticating Nature. (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla)May 7, 2015
- A roller-coaster of temperatures in South Europe. Spain (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla) May 14, 2015
- Talking about climate (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla)May 12, 2015
- News from an Ecosystem (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla)May 20, 2015
- In climate it is becoming Less probable to not have a High probability. (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla)May 29, 2015
- Drinking from the source (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla)June 5, 2015
- Communication takes more than just publishing thoughts. (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla)June 9, 2015
- Extreme climatic events, implications for projections of species distributions and ecosystem structure (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla)June 18, 2015
- The scope of Environmental Science and scientific thought. From Thought-driven to Data-driven, from Critical Thinking to Data Management. (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla)June 26, 2015
- Atmospheric Circulation and Climate Drift. Are we there yet? (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla)July 2, 2015
- Lateral thinking. From Micro to Macro (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla)July 4, 2015
- Something for the curious minds. Climate and Streamlines (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla)July 17, 2015
- Solar Activity and Human Activity, Settling Their Environmental Liability. (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla)July 24, 2015
- Atmospheric composition and thermal conductivity? (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla)August 6, 2015
- Latitudinal barriers and typhoons (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla)August 13, 2015
- The Earth is Ticking (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla)August 20, 2015
- What if, the relevant bit lies hidden on identifying the pattern behind similarities instead of trying to match anomalies? (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla)September 3, 2015
- A Climate “Between Waters” (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla).September 8, 2015
- Sensing Atmospheric Dynamics (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla)September 22, 2015
- InFormAtion. The “Act” of “Giving Form” to “Knowledge” (by Diego fdez-Sevilla)September 30, 2015
- Arctic Intake of Water Vapour (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla)October 7, 2015
- SST Anomalies and Heat Waves. Are They Not All Just Heat Displacements? (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla)October 16, 2015
- Discussing Climatic Teleconnections. Follow Up On My Previous Research (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla)October 21, 2015
- Follow-up on Arctic circulation 30 Oct 2015 ( by Diego Fdez-Sevilla) October 30, 2015
- There is Ice or Frost In Antarctica? (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla) November 5, 2015
- Starts Raining Drops of Winter at Mid-Latitudes. The new Autumn? (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla) November 10, 2015
- Press release. Ask NASA (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla) November 12, 2015
- Following the Behaviour of the Jet Stream (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla) November 19, 2015
- What Is Wrong With The Concept “Bio”? (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla) November 26, 2015
- Energy. Looking For Sources of Something We Waste. (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla) December 3, 2015
- SOILS. The Skeleton Holding The Muscle On Our Ecosystems (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla) December 9, 2015
- Could It Be El Niño The New “Wolf” Coming? (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla) December 11, 2015
- Climate and weather December 2015. Another Polar Vortex another Heat Wave? (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla) December 18, 2015
- New insides on old concepts (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla) December 23, 2015
- Atmospheric Dynamics And Shapes (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla) January 13, 2016
- European weather. Old News, Same News? by Diego Fdez-Sevilla January 15, 2016
- Observational events on atmospheric dynamics. A follow-up assessment over the theory proposed over Energetic gradients by Diego Fdez-Sevilla. January 29, 2016
- North American Weather. Old News, Same News? (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla) January 20, 2016
- Observed Atmospheric Dynamics. A follow-up assessment over the theory proposed on Energetic gradients by Diego Fdez-Sevilla. January 29, 2016
- (updated 11-18 Feb2016) Polar Vortex, Old News, Same News? (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla) February 4, 2016
- Forecasting Past Events. Snow Coming to Spain (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla) February 12, 2016
- Do You Believe in the Value of Your Work? (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla) February 23, 2016
- Forecasts For Ecosystems (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla) February 25, 2016
- Seasonality Spring 2016. Continuous follow-up on my previous research assessing atmospheric dynamics. (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla) March 3, 2016
- Tangled in Words. Atmospheric Dynamics, Stefan Boltzmann Calculations and Energy Balance (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla) March 10, 2016
- Pacific atmospheric dynamics with and without a positive ENSO (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla) March 22, 2016
- Plant growth, CO2, Soil and Nutrients. (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla) March 31, 2016
- Atmospheric Dynamics, GHG’s, Thermal Conductivity and Polar Jet Stream (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla) April 6, 2016
- Feedback. Have Your Say. (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla) April 14, 2016
- Plant an Idea and Then a Tree… But Which Ones? (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla) April 22, 2016
- (updated 28/April/2016) Severe weather warning 27 April 2016 USA (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla) April 28, 2016
- Research Update May 2016 (by Diego Fdez-sevilla) May 6, 2016
- Scientifically Challenged (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla) May 12, 2016
- Another roller-coaster of temperatures in South Europe. Spain (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla) May 13, 2015 May 13, 2016
- Our Environment. One Vision and Many Thoughts. (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla) May 20, 2016
- Atmospheric Circulation and the Mixing Zone. (by Diego Fdez-Sevilla) May 26, 2016